Sunday, February 09, 2014

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Adventure, September 1940


Gorilla with a rifle! Paging Mark Finn! Behind that distinctive cover is what seems to be a good issue of one of the great pulps, with stories by Georges Surdez, Joel Townsley Rogers, Tom Roan, Dale Clark, and an installment of the serial by Luke Short that became the novel BARREN LAND SHOWDOWN (Mounties vs. Nazis, if I recall correctly; it's been a long time since I read it). I'm not familiar with Brian O'Brien, who wrote the lead novel, but I'm sure it's good, too. Not many bad stories got published in ADVENTURE.

2 comments:

Walker Martin said...

ADVENTURE is my favorite pulp. I even remember where I bought this issue. It was at the first Pulpcon in St. Louis, 1972. All the 1940's issues were there and I obtained a complete run, 1940-1949, for $1.00 each. I still have them and in nice condition. The paper is not brittle.

James Reasoner said...

Sounds like you got a good deal, Walker!