Sunday, September 01, 2013

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Smashing Novels, July 1936


When I think about the pulp SMASHING NOVELS, I think of Robert E. Howard's classic Western novella "The Vulture of Whapeton", which appeared in the December 1936 issue. But the magazine published some other excellent authors, too. For example, the July 1936 issue featured novellas by Alan M. Emley (who was really Alan LeMay, author of the novels THE SEARCHERS and THE UNFORGIVEN, both made into classic Western movies, of course), the highly prolific and well-regarded pulpster Arthur J. Burks, and W. Ryerson Johnson, who had a long, successful career in the pulps, paperbacks, and hardback novels. Looks like a darned good issue to me.

2 comments:

Rittster said...

I love this cover! It's a little different than what I'm used to seeing, what with the circular insets and dual lettering for "Novels". Is that a Hitler mustache the guy has, or just a shadow from his nose? I can't see it well enough.

James Reasoner said...

I think it's a shadow, not a Hitler mustache. Hard to tell for sure, though.