Saturday, October 20, 2012

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Mammoth Western, May 1949


I haven't featured an issue of MAMMOTH WESTERN in a while, so I figured it was time. This is an interesting cover. I really like the way they've worked the month and year into the text on the tombstone, along with the title of one of the stories. The guy, however, reminds me of actor Tom Poston, not somebody I really associate with Westerns. Still a good cover, though.

The authors inside include pulp Western stalwarts such as Ed Earl Repp, Ray Gaulden, Frank Castle, H.A. De Rosso, and Kenneth L. Sinclair, along with known house-names like S.M. Tenneshaw. Looks like a decent issue.

2 comments:

Walker Martin said...

I've always thought that the entire line of Mammoth titles was funny as hell. Not only the titles but the sensational covers and cheap pulpy look of the magazines, some of which were the size of a telephone directory. In addition to MAMMOTH WESTERN, I also collected MAMMOTH DETECTIVE, MAMMOTH MYSTERY, and MAMMOTH ADVENTURE. At one Pulpcon, I had a special MAMMOTH sale and sold them all.

wayne d. dundee said...

I was thinking the guy on the cover looked like the character actor Kenneth Tobey --- that's the first thing that struck. Great cover and line-up of stories, though, no matter who's face one imagines.